Further Tribology Test Equipment
The perfect addition to our range of tribological systems.
Standard-Compliant Testing Using the Right Tribological Measuring Instrument
Analyses in the petrochemical industry comprise a large number of specific standard methods. Standard tests, ASTM, ISO, DIN, IP and related international standard methods require their own analysis systems. A comprehensive range of manual and automatic instruments for lubricant and oil laboratories as well as standards and accessories to meet these testing requirements can be found here.
Four-Ball Wear and EP Tester Desktop Version
The four-ball wear and EP tester has been developed according to ASTM standards. Fields of application include the determination of the friction coefficient of lubricants and the study on the wear protection and EP properties of lubricating oils under a wide variety of test conditions. Furthermore, it is possible to determine the load bearing capacity on the basis of the load wear index and the spot weld technique. A dynamic load system supports the understanding of Stribeck curve phenomena.
DIN 51350 Parts 1-4 and 6
- Conforms to the further specifications of ASTM D2266, D4172, D5183, D2596, D2783; CEC L-45-A-00; IP 239, IP 300;
- Servo-pneumatic drive with closed control loop for precise test force application
- Dynamic load system with speed control
- Different load sequences can be selected, e.g. constant load, progressive load in increments or decrements and gradual load in increments or decrements.
- Built-in 15-inch multi-touch control panel
- Predefined standard test protocol and options for customised test conditions
„Low Temperature Grease Flow“ Tester
The test system is used for determining the flow pressure of lubricating greases at temperatures of up to -50°C. When it comes to central lubrication systems, vehicles and machines used in harsh environments, the flow properties of greases at low temperatures are important parameters.
- Predefined pressure settings according to DIN 51805 (Kesternich method) and customer-specific settings
- Pressure range: 0 to 3,000 mbar
- Predefined increase time of 30 s or user-defined times
- Pressure resolution: <1 mbar
- Predefined selection of the most frequently used temperatures or free selection
- Temperature resolution: <1°C
- Operating range between ambient temperature and -50°C
- A cooling system enables rapid cooling to -50°C without the need for expensive external cooling equipment
- Easy operation via a touchscreen interface
- Help feature embedded directly in the HMI software
- App-based remote monitoring/control
Used for evaluating the adhesive properties of greases both objectively and qualitatively, the tackiness tester provides graphical results as well as numerical results in Newton. The performance of greases is often defined by their adhesion properties, for example when it comes to the lubrication of bearings in machinery and automotive components.
The finger adhesion laboratory test
- Simple 5-step procedure
- Short test time of about 120 s
- Optional temperature control (up to 80°C)
Air Jet Erosion Tester
The system serves to determine the material loss resulting from the impact erosion caused by solid particles applied by jet nozzles. It is possible to measure and evaluate the solid particle erosion of different materials under simulated environmental conditions.
ASTM G 76
- Human-machine interface
- Measurement of the particle velocity
- Digital pressure regulator
- Adjustable particle feeder
ATF Lubricity Tester or Ball-on-Cylinder Lubricity Evaluator (BOCLE)
The test appliance makes it possible to display wear aspects related to the boundary lubrication properties of aircraft turbine fuels on steel surfaces that rub against each other.
ASTM D 5001
- Easy-to-operate user interface - all appliance features are digitally controllable
- The test sequence according to ASTM D 5001 has been integrated: The user installs the cleaned samples, adds the ATF sample and presses the start button.
- Automatic control of the test procedure - no user-dependent influence on the test results
- Automatic flow regulator for damp and dry air - no operator intervention required to control the humidity and the flow rate of the conditioned air
- PC-based logging of the measurement data gathered during testing (engine speed, test duration, fuel temperature, air temperature, humidity) & printout of a summary confirming that all parameters are within the limits specified.
- Interchangeable humidity and temperature sensors - no need to recalibrate the humidity and temperature measurements - all you have to do is replace the combined relative humidity and temperature sensor by a calibrated replacement unit.
- Heating and cooling with a Peltier heating and cooling system with imaging system and software
- PC-based data acquisition and analysis system for engine speed, test duration, fuel temperature, air temperature, humidity.
Dry Abrasion Tester
The scratch resistance of metallic materials is determined by means of the dry sand/rubber wheel abrasion test, i.e. that the abrasion tester uses a rubber wheel to hold the abrasive which is passed between the sample and the wheel via a funnel. Using a weight and a lever arm, the sample is pressed into the wheel. Performed for a specified number of revolutions, the test will be stopped automatically. The degree of wear is determined by measuring the density and the volume of the material lost through loss of mass.
- Preset revolution counter
- Variable speed
- Standard force calibration
- Friction force measurement
Four Ball Tester
This appliance determines the wear protection and EP properties of lubricating oils and greases in steel-on-steel applications under sliding motion. The test concept is based on rotating a steel ball under load against three stationary steel balls exposed to a lubricant. Measurements are performed in compliance with published standards using the respective rotational speeds, temperatures and test durations. The load-wear index can be determined by EP tests from the time of welding. Lubricant comparisons can be made on the basis of the track diameters from wear tests.
ASTM D2266, D2596, IP 239
- For carrying out wear protection and EP tests
- Display and recording of standard load, friction torque and temperature
- The test speed and temperatures are electronically controlled
- Data acquisition software and card
- Customised configurations are possible
- Precise and variable load application
Grease Noise Tester
The grease noise tester evaluates the functionality of greases by subjecting their noise characteristics to a quantitative assessment.
- Quantitative assessment of the grease/bearing noise characteristics
- Algorithm for peak tracking in vibration
- Data recording software for data monitoring, recording and evaluation
- High-quality test spindle for rotations at 1800 rpm
- Pneumatic loading device for the test bearings
RHF 1 Grease Test Bench
It is the test's task to measure the lubricity of greases at different high speeds, temperatures and axle loads.
The grease quality is measured by recording the number of hours that pass before the grease loses its lubricating function and - as a result thereof - the bearings fail. The higher the number of hours, the better the grease's lubricating properties under these conditions. In this way, it is possible to determine a bearing's maximum operating time, temperature and load.
Assessment of greases under high-load conditions
- High flexibility
- Customised tests are possible
- Freely programmable test parameters
- Monitoring of the test parameters
- Software based on Windows 7
- Cast iron housing with built-in heating and thermal insulation. The housing contains 2 test bearings on a high-precision shaft.
- High-speed drive
- Base frame with lubrication system for the drive motor and pneumatics for applying the axial load.
- External cooling system for the drive motor
- Control cabinet with PC and machine control systems
High Frequency Reciprocating Rig (HFRR)
The HFRR is a versatile, computer-controlled test appliance for evaluating the lubricity of diesel fuels. For this purpose, a 2 ml sample of the fuel is filled into the test container and kept at a temperature of 25 or 60°C. When the temperature is stable, a vibrating arm holding a non-rotating steel ball is lowered with a load of 200 g until it comes into contact with a test disc that is completely immersed in the fuel. The ball is in frictional contact with the disc. The stroke is 1 mm; the frequency remains at 50 Hz for 75 min. The ball is removed from the vibrating arm and cleaned. The dimensions of the wear scar are measured under magnification, both transversely and longitudinally, and then stored.
- The software is used for adjusting the frequency between 10 and 200 Hz
- Wear measurement with a digital microscope and software
- Real-time data recording of the friction force, friction coefficient and temperature
- User-friendly software for operation with different operating sequences
- Programmed test sequence for automated testing
- PC-based digital data acquisition
- Fully computer-controlled test procedure
- Simple on-site calibration
- Proven repeatability and comparability
- Robust desktop unit
High Temperature Grease Life Tester
The appliance evaluates the performance of greases in ball bearings which are used under low loads, at high speeds and at elevated temperatures. A grease-lubricated ball bearing (SAE No. 204) rotates under low load at an elevated temperature. The test is carried out in accordance with ASTM D 3336-05. This method can be used for testing the long-term lubricity of greases operating under light loads, at high speeds and at elevated temperatures.
ASTM D 3336-05
- HMI-based control of the heating chamber
- Stainless steel heating chamber
- Automated test sequence via HMI
- Automatic switch-off when a set torque has been reached
- HMI-based heating control of the chamber and storage temperatures
- 100 clockwise and counterclockwise rotations are carried out automatically at 200 rpm
- Test bench safety locking
Pin and Vee block Tester
The "pin and prism block tester" consists of a rotating pin that is pressed between two stationary steel prism blocks. A ratchet mechanism is used for transferring the load to the blocks. An automatic feed mechanism controls the load during the extreme pressure test. The bolts and blocks are immersed in a heated test cup filled with lubricant, which occurs under test conditions. The degree of wear and the torque and service life are evaluated accordingly. The tester comes with data acquisition software which measures and records the test torque, load, temperature and degree of wear. Using the software, the user is able to view, compare and log various test results.
Wear protection of lubricants and lubricating films
- Automatic test start at the set temperature
- Protection against excessive temperatures and torques
- The speed is maintained within the specified limits throughout the entire test duration
- Calibration kit for test load, torque and wear
- High-performance sensor for the entire test force range with a single load cell (56421) with adequate resolution
Pin on Disc Tester
The pin-on-disc tester captures real-time data relating to the physical properties of various materials. Friction, wear and temperature can be analysed and correlated with different test materials. A fixed pin mounted on a holder is brought into contact with a rotating disc at a specific speed. As the pin slides, the frictional force between the pin and the disc resulting therefrom is measured. Both the standard load (0 - 200 N) and the speed (100 - 2000 rpm) can be adjusted as desired.
- Studies the friction and wear characteristics of (dry or lubricated) sliding contacts
- Tests can be performed using a wide range of materials, e.g. metals, polymers, composites, ceramics, lubricants, cutting liquids, abrasive slurries, coatings and heat treated specimens.
- The data acquisition software package varies, recording data such as pin pressure, temperature, sliding speed and lubrication parameters
- Customised configurations are possible.
The test bench consists of a fixed test roller (cylinder) which is pressed against a friction wheel. The friction wheel is partially immersed in the bath containing the lubricant to be tested. As regards this test bench, the load is applied by means of dead weights. The standard load and friction force are measured by a dual load cell. An acoustic emission detector for scratching noises from the friction contact, which will stop the test automatically, is included in the scope of delivery. Equipped with a heater, the lubricant chamber monitors both the lubricant temperature and the pre-set temperature.
WP and EP Tester
- Wear properties (WP) and extreme pressure properties (EP)
- Online data acquisition software
- Acquisition, analysis and comparison of the following data: standard load, friction force, friction coefficient, noise level, oil bath temperature and sliding distance
- Temperature range from room temperature to 1200°C
A versatile instrument, the scratch tester can quantify the scratch resistance, the critical load, the adhesion and the bond strength of a wide range of surfaces. The stylus is pressed against the moving surface with a controlled force that is perpendicular to the surface. However, the force ratio is not the only indication of damage. The acoustic emission also increases, which confirms the occurrence of surface damage.
Versatile in scratch resistance
- Diamond indenter
- Reference sample (2)
- Data acquisition software
- Tool kit
Shear Stability Tester
Evaluating the shear stability of liquids containing polymers, the appliance works with a test method that uses a diesel injection mechanism of an EU diesel injection tester.
Two variants are available:
Variant 1: D6278; measures the percentage viscosity loss at 100°C
Variant 2: D7109; measures the viscosity loss at 100°C in mm2/s and as a percentage
The viscosity loss reflects the degradation of the polymer due to the shearing process at the nozzle. The viscosity loss is analysed after 30 and 90 shearing cycles.
ASTM D 6278 & ASTM D 7109
- Injection nozzle - Bosch DN 8 S2 nozzle holder - Bosch KD 43 SA 53/13 OR 15 diesel injection fuel pump - Bosch PE 2A 90D 300/3S 2266
Slurry Abrasion Tester
The appliance determines the scratch resistance of materials. It includes the laboratory procedures for determining the scratch resistance of materials by means of the wet sand/rubber wheel test. It is the aim of the method to provide data that reproducibly classify materials according to their scratch resistance under a given set of parameters.
ASTM G10 and B611
- Preset revolution counter
- Variable speed
- Calibration of the standard load
- Friction force measurement
Tapping Torque Tester
For evaluating the relative performance of metalworking fluids.
- Pneumatic system for automatic spindle feed
- With data acquisition software
The appliance determines the high-pressure properties of lubricants. The sample to be tested is introduced into the sliding contact along with the test cup. The test load at the friction point is continuously increased; both the value achieved and the OK value are determined.
ASTM D2509 and D2782
- Lubricant circulation system
- Automatic grease supply
- Friction levers and weights
- 1:10 load lever with load cell and digital display
- Oil tank with heater
The appliance measures the grease's ability to protect a bearing against corrosion in the presence of water or saline water. At each test station, two sets of a grease-coated bearing are partially immersed in water and rotated at a speed of 80 rpm in a sequence of running and resting times. At the end of the test, the bearing raceways and the bearings' outer rings are examined for the presence of rust.
DIN 51802, ASTM D6138, ISO 11007
- Easily create sequences to define your specific test setup or perform the standard test using the touch screen.
- An extension unit allows 2 additional test bearings to be added to the basic unit. A maximum of 8 test stations are possible.