The 2disk test rig – for high-load, lubricated rolling contacts
Our 2disk test rig is a proven testing method for materials, coatings and lubricants in high-load, lubricated rolling contacts, e.g. roller bearings, gears, cam followers and wheel-rail systems. You can perform functional and application-oriented investigations of tribosystems that are subject to heavy rolling stress using sliding and slip-rolling motion.
Principle behind the 2disk test rig
The contact surfaces of two cylindrical disks, each mounted on a rotating drive shaft, are pressed against each other. Load, temperature, speed and slip can be varied dynamically. These variables, plus the friction force and linear total wear rates can be continuously measured. Both drives can be synchronously (master-slave operation with adjustable slip) or asynchronously (independent speed control of both drives) parameterized.
Optional equipment allows precise position measurement of friction, electrical contact resistance and sound emission. The sturdy construction of the floor unit provides low-vibration operation even in demanding load collectives.
Type of movement
- Continuous rotation with adjustable slip
- Periodically reversing rolling movement
- Rotation of one test piece against a stationary opposing body, e.g. for component applications
- The basic test rig is designed for test disk diameters of 45 mm and 60 mm.
- Spherical test disks can also be used
- Larger disk diameters are possible on request (special design)
- Setups for component testing can be implemented, e.g. bearings
- Wear measurement
- Measurement of acoustic emission between test bodies
- Measurement of electrical resistance
- Temperature measurement on one test disk
- Air conditioning
- Water cooling of the drive axes
- Oil pump
- 2disk high-resolution signal analysis
- n-RAI measurement of nanowear using radionuclide technology
- Generation of time stamp for each measured value. Every measured value is clearly matched to a specific point in time during the trial. This guarantees the time synchronicity of all measured values within each experiment
- Measured values in 24-bit resolution
- Data from over 30 measurement channels can be used to control the test sequence and calculate relevant machine parameters